Sunday, May 20, 2007

DogMa
Let me introduce you to two of my "babies": Lucy and Mickey. Life is never dull with these two around! Mickey is a chocolate-and-tan longhaired dachshund who has shared our home since he was just 8 weeks old. Lucy, a poodle and ??? mix, is a rescue who just joined our family this year. She has brought a lot of balance and joy into our lives, and now my husband and I each have a dog to cuddle with again. More on them, as well as the feather and fin contingent of our household, later...



A stitch in time

On the needles today is a cabled shell bag by Sara Baldwin. I picked up this free pattern last week while visiting Knit, a fabulous yarn shop in historic Charleston, SC. It works up double-stranded with two balls of Maggi's Linen, and the shop sample was adorable. I picked up enough yarn for two bags, one in a raspberry-orangeade shade and one in the palest of sea blues, along with a card of natural shell buttons to use as accents. I started on the border pattern twice, but the combination of left- and right-twisted stitches and the linen/cotton blend was just too much. The yarn is very splitty, especially when worked double, and there is no give. After casting on a third time, I switched to a seed stitch border band and am now past the second cable repeat and on cruise control.